Learn how to be a filmmaker and make better movies with these resources and resources for the aspiring filmmaker.
Camera/ Audio Suggestions & Reviews
- Your mobile phone probably has a great camera. It’s honestly a great place to start, as it forces you to walk around to get good angles, learn how to expose and compose.
- You can even get some intense film making accessories for your mobile phone.
- For the best compact $ can buy, Sony RX100 Mark I-IV have great reviews. I currently have the Mark I and love it.
- Equipment for low budget filmmaking - recommendations for basically all types of film making gear. Great site!
- Cameras: Canon DSLRs, Sony, & Panasonic are especially great for filmmakers. I would look up reviews and choose based on the features you want.
- Audio is a must have. You can use ones that plug directly into the camera w/ a sound muffler, or external mics.
- Sound is important, good reviews on:
- After researching, I currently have this (Zoom H1). Not a direct plug in for my camera, but it’s great since I can use it for other things.
- If you have a few thousand, go get a RED. Not well versed in the uber expensive, but if anyone wants a $$$$ camera guide curation, I can make that in the future.
Communities & Inspiration
- Filmmaking - Wikiversity
- Filmmaking Stuff
- Filmmaking Tutorial: Part 1, Working With Less on Vimeo
- tutorial | No Film School
Software for Filmmakers – Video Editing Software
Free Software [w-windows, m-mac, l-linux ]
- imovie / windows movie maker - w, m, l
- Lightworks - w/m/l
- OpenShot - l
- Shotcut -
- Freemium HitFilm Express
- More intense Black Magic Design DaVinci
- Compositing - Nuke: Free Non-commercial
- Youtube has a very simple editor but seems to be good.
- iMovie, free if you have a Mac.
- Window’s MovieMaker, free if you have a PC.
- Lightworks - w, m, l open source, requires an upgrade for certain export features
$ Pro Software
- Final Cut Pro X- m
- Buy Adobe Premiere Pro CC - w/m subscription, or you can spend $$ on CS6. If you have a student discount, this is affordable.
- Sony Vegas Pro -w/m
- Corel VideoStudio Ultimate x10- w only ; quite robust and well reviewed and only $49 dollars.
I hope this helped! Thanks for reading!